Stop the Stigma. Start the Conversation.
Who we are: Our Voices is a multifaceted monthly newsletter that is broadcasted to teens all over the city. With a culmination of student work such as art, poetry, photographs, and even individual interviews, we strive to provide a space for all teens to express themselves in any way they choose. Since our publication is “by teens, for teens,” we hope to help raise mental health awareness in the teenage community, and take steps towards shattering the stigma.
Our Story: Our journey began at the 1N5 Youth Mental Health Innovation Challenge, a competitive workshop that challenged teenagers to utilize design thinking in order to invent a creative solution to help solve today’s mental health stigmas. As a team, we came up with an idea for a student-led mental health awareness magazine, and though we did not receive a grant, our passion still remained as 1N5 decided to assist us in developing an online version of our idea: a digital newsletter. And, here we are!
- Submit a piece of art, a photo, or poem related to the theme of Mental Health (mental illness, mental wellness, or anything related). Don’t be afraid to express yourself! Be creative!
- Add a caption: what motivated you to write/create this piece? Why is this topic important to you? What do you hope to achieve by sharing this? **Captions limited to 200 words**
- Download a pdf or jpeg image of your work!
- Send the image of your creation to this address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can submit your work using your name or anonymously…it is up to you.
- We are accepting entries until October 31st for the November issue. We can’t wait to see what you come up with!
- If you have any questions, please contact us at the email address above.
Hello! My name is Alexis Cokonougher and I’m a second year at Xavier University. Currently my major is Psychology with a minor in Gender and Diversity Studies.
Hi! My name is Deeya Prakash, and I am a sophomore at Sycamore High School this year. I am a golfer and a swimmer (a proud Aviator Athlete!) and my passions include reading, writing, science, and mock trial.
Hey there! My name is Alaina Delsignore, and I am a junior at Sycamore High School this year. I love to play the violin, and I am also a proud member of the Sycamore soccer team.
Hello! My name is Cooper Scanlon. I’m a freshman at Vanderbilt University. I am currently undecided, but am considering Human and Organizational Development as a major.