- This event has passed.
Self-Care and Mindfulness for Teachers
August 11, 2022 @ 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm EDTFree
Kick off the School Year With a Focus on Self-Care and Mindfulness
August 11th, 2022 – 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm
A Free Virtual Program
Beginning a new school year can be stressful and daunting. Learning to focus on Self-Care can help you begin the year on the right track. Please join IN5 for a workshop on Self-Care for Teachers Using Mindfulness Practices. All educators can benefit from this workshop.
Why Self-Care for Teachers?
Teaching is one of the most rewarding professions but also one of the most challenging. Many teachers report that they regularly feel stressed and emotionally exhausted. The idea of self-care is often set aside because teachers chose the profession to care for others. This lack of self-care can lead to burnout. By learning practical mindfulness skills, teachers can feel a sense of fulfillment both inside and outside the classroom.
According to Dr. Patricia Jennings, author of Mindfulness for Teachers, practicing mindfulness skills help teachers better understand their own emotions, communicate more effectively with students – especially challenging students, slow down when they need to take a pause, and set up a positive learning environment in the classroom.
Highlights of a Mindfulness Practice
- Staying in the present moment with awareness, without being judgmental to self and others
- Incorporating mind-body exercises, such as Yoga, Tai Chi and Qi Gong into your routine. These activities contribute to calmness and clear-headedness.
- Acting with loving kindness toward yourself and toward others
- Learning to take a mindful pause, especially when emotionally charged
- Setting up a regular time to practice breath awareness
Presenters: Arlene Herman, Mindfulness Consultant, and Nancy Eigel-Miller, Executive Director, 1N5
Number of participants is limited to 75.