- This event has passed.
Self-Care for Teachers – Using Mindfulness Skills
August 5 @ 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm EDTFree
Self-Care for Teachers
Using Mindfulness Skills
August 5th, 2021 – 3:00 pm to 4:30 pm
A Free Virtual Program
Why Self-Care for Teachers?
Teaching is one of the most rewarding professions but also one of the most challenging. Many teachers report that they regularly feel stressed and emotionally exhausted. The idea of self-care is often set aside because teachers chose the profession to care for others. This lack of self-care can lead to burnout. By learning practical mindfulness skills, teachers can feel a sense of fulfillment both inside and outside the classroom.
According to Dr. Patricia Jennings, author of Mindfulness for Teachers, practicing mindfulness skills help teachers better understand their own emotions, communicate more effectively with students – especially challenging students, slow down when they need to take a pause, and set up a positive learning environment in the classroom.
Highlights of a Mindfulness Practice
- Staying in the present moment with awareness, without being judgmental to self and others
- Incorporating mind-body exercises, such as Yoga, Tai Chi and Qi Gong into your routine. These activities contribute to calmness and clear-headedness.
- Acting with loving kindness toward yourself and toward others
- Learning to take a mindful pause, especially when emotionally charged
- Setting up a regular time to practice breath awareness
Monthly 30-minute coaching sessions and weekly emails will be offered throughout the school year to workshop participants.
Instructors: Nancy Eigel-Miller, Executive Director and Founder, 1N5 and Arlene Herman, Mindfulness Consultant
Number of participants is limited to 75.